My youngest son just started his senior year in high school. All I can wonder is where did the time go? My entire life I’ve heard those older than myself say the same thing and always wondered what the heck they were talking about. The days are slow, aren’t they? I’ve learned that while the days may go slow, the years go by extremely fast. Doesn’t seem like all that long ago during these first days of school that my wife and I were fussing over what clothes the boys should wear, what teacher should they get, and when are we going to the Halloween store to get their costumes.
Whether you have kids of your own to remind you of how quickly time passes, just starting out your career, or you simply notice the little wrinkles on your face and a few more aches and pains these days, I thought it would be appropriate this week to mark the passing of the last 18 years by sharing things I remember about life 18 years ago- if you can think of any yourself please share them. Here goes!
- Still getting used to my first cell phone- a Nextel with a walkie talkie feature.
- Got rid of my Honda Prelude cause it’s a stick-shift and I can’t use my new cell phone.
- What the heck is a 401K? Whatever it is, I don’t have one.
- No 401K- no problem with the likes of ENRON.
- Dude I’m getting a Dell- and it comes with Windows XP!
- Mike Meyers & Eddie Murphy- Shrek & Donkey- Comic Genius
- George W. finally sworn in as President after the longest election night in US history.
- No such thing as a TSA checkpoint.
- After Sept 11th David Letterman & other late-night hosts help me feel normal again.
- Until this year I had only known Anthrax as a heavy metal band from the 80’s.
- Fast & Furious #1 is released- Pretty good movie. I wonder if there will be a sequel?
- I wish my dial up internet wasn’t so slow- but I love hearing AOL’s “you’ve got mail”
- Can’t wait to head down to Borders and buy a new book while sipping a café latte.
- After almost 5 years Amazon emerges from the dot.com bust and finally makes a profit.
- Shaggy releases “Angel” and Train releases “Drops of Jupiter” I still love those songs!
- Cal Ripken Jr played in 2632 consecutive baseball games- for the same team!
- Former Michigan QB Tom Brady replaces the injured Drew Bledsoe for Pats- Who knew?
- I really want one of those iPods for Christmas but how can I get my CD’s loaded on it?
I hope you’ve enjoyed my personal snapshot of a look back in time 18 years ago. Please post you best memory from 2001. Remember, the Present, is a Present we get every single day. Don’t waste your present with people or doing things that you don’t love.
Thoughts for the week:
Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good ole days. – Doug Larson
We didn’t realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. -Unknown
That is will never come again is what makes life so sweet. -Emily Dickinson
Best not to mix the past with the present. The present paints the past with gold, that past paints the present with lead. – Henry Rollins
Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. -Warren Buffett
Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory -Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
Looking forward to our next connection